Tuesday, 2 December 2014

Where The Heck Did She Come From?

I decided not to do NaNoWriMo this year.  I've still got a novella from last year's script to finish and I just didn't feel as if I had the appetite to commit to writing 50,000 plus words in 30 days.

As November drew nearer, I decided that I would sign up after all, but only write a handful of short stories.  Then, during the final week of October I thought it would be a good idea to write a little every day.  I still had no intention of pushing myself to hit the 50,000 word mark.  This year was going to be more relaxed.

I did write every day (finishing at 53800 words) and I did write a handful of short stories (8 in total).  I also penned one tale that just refused to lie down and demanded its voice.  This one finished up at about 12,000 words and, by the time I've fleshed it out, it will be novella length.

This all left me with about 9 days of writing to go.

Ever since my first NaNo, in 2011 I've had an idea for a three part fantasy story.  I began writing.  I've got a few waypoint ideas in mind but pretty much put one word after the other, letting the story unfold itself.

As I approached one of these waypoints in the story I realised that I needed a device to get me off a particular path that I'd written myself onto.  A new character was needed to put in a brief appearance, help the main character, and then bow out.

So where the heck did she come from?

I've landed myself with a feisty young woman who has issues with her life so far and a determination to do something about it.  Far from being compliant and subservient - just playing her part and then getting the hell out of my story - this little madam has every intention of sticking around.  In the space of a few pages I've written myself a second principal character.

This newcomer will be make for some interesting conflicts later on in the story.  My first principal character is a loner and not one for co-operating with others.  I suspect that this won't bother the young woman one jot.  She will be around for quite a while.  Whether I'll let her stay the distance is another matter.  Killing her off won't be easy though, I may have to catch her unawares with a knife in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment